What is MarineCadastre.govMarineCadastre.gov was developed through a partnership between the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office for Coastal Management and the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM). MarineCadastre.gov is an integrated marine information system that provides data, tools, and technical support for ocean and Great Lakes planning. MarineCadastre.gov was designed specifically to support renewable energy siting on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf but also is being used for other ocean-related efforts.
The MarineCadastre.gov team is continually working to increase access to data through data and map services. The services are designed to deliver data without replication and directly from the source. MarineCadastre.gov supports a number of complementary efforts, including Digital Coast, Data.gov, and Geoplatform.gov. You are encouraged to use these data map services in your mapping initiative. If you have data useful for marine planning, please contact us.
MarineCadastre.gov was created to comply with Section 388 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 but is also providing the geospatial framework needed for the broader marine spatial planning initiative called for in President Obama’s National Ocean Policy.
Partnering With MarineCadastre.govThe MarineCadastre.gov is the result of a collaborative effort among a number of organizations. This team of participants is engaged in and provides data through the Digital Coast and the Data.Gov Ocean Community. MarineCadastre.gov is recognized by regional ocean governance groups as the central place for authoritative federal data, with data, metadata, and map services from the project being integrated into the Northeast Ocean Data Portal, Mid-Atlantic Ocean Data Portal, and West Coast Ocean Data Portal. The team is coordinating with the ocean planning groups on data and sharing lessons. The Frequently Asked Questions page details other collaborative efforts and further defines mechanisms for collaboration. This initiative continues to grow and strengthen as a result of such partnerships. If you are interested in partnering or contributing data, please contact us.
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping Joint Hydrographic Center, University of New Hampshire
- Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE)
- DOE EERE, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- NOAA Office for Coastal Management
- NOAA National Geophysical Data Center
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service Southwest Regional Office
- NOAA National Marine Protected Areas Center
- NOAA Office of Coast Survey
- NOAA Radar Operations Center
- Pacific Coast Marine Habitat Program
- The Nature Conservancy
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System
- U.S. National Park Service
- U.S. Navy
Websites Featuring MarineCadastre.gov data
MarineCadastre.gov data also can be found within the following locations: